Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Tata Institute of Social Sciences-Mumbai


I still remember the day i walked in the campus very casually with my dad for an enterance exam and a group discussion.I was'nt very keen to do my PG from TISS as i was confident of getting through an International Relations course in JNU. But since i had filled out the from ...i thought of giving it a shot....and why miss a chance of looking around Mumbai!

I immedialtely knew i didnt belong there...Students(offcourse dressed in Khadi or Fab India kurta and floaters...carrying around jholas..) were sitting around in groups discussing some serious stuff...NBA,Child Labour, Demolition drive in Mumbai..etc..etc.They were so passionately involved..On the other hand i was dressed in a levis,UCB T!!i felt very out of place... i had to join my group for a mock practise of GD. People were desperate to crack the GD as it ensures your chance to make it to the final round of interview.

I happened to meet Vandy a senior from LSR who was studying at TISS. I very casually asked her if she was liking it here?She said"Feel s lucky to be here.This place has changed my whole personality..I have found a whole new meaning to life"!

God !!what was she saying?Is this the offical language people at TISS are supposed to speak...I knew of Vandy as a party animal in college..every weekend a new discotheque...going out with a new guy every month!I felt even more confused!

Anyways i did well in the GD round and reached the final round of interview and further was able to get admission in the Urban and Rural Community Development course .When i thought of dropping my seat at TISS people told me i was crazy..so under a lot of pressure from my parents and friends i decided to join in on the condition "if i dont like it there...i will come back!dont say anything to to me then"

So against my wishes and totally confused i took admission in TISS.I was happy to discover that i wasnt the only one in this state ...so many more were just like me.During the first month there were no classes but visits to different Ngo's trying to make us familiar with varied issues like-AIDS,Commercial sex,Child Labour,Community intervention and many more.

I felt even more burdenedand depressed.....god so many problems is our society...

But it did get me thinking...slowly i started looki ng forward to these visits.I was no longer sleeping through their presentations and had questions..many of them! i started participating in late night and evening discussions in the dining hall !!I too was now a part of a group who spend evenings seeking answers to serious issues. I was no longer a Levis and A UCB girl...i too started wearing clothes which did not make me stand out during a community or a hospital visit!and offcourse my johla where i carried my note book (I wrote down every observation ) and a modest lunch packed in TISS DH.

One evening my Dad called saying i had cracked the exam at JNU and if i wanted to go back to Delhi i could!

But it was too late ...i knew i belong here!



No comments: